Biotransformation, biocatalysis, biodegradation
Fate and impact of chemicals in the environment
Bioenergy and biofuels from biomass
Dynamics and microbial ecology of antimicrobial resistance
Ph. D., School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA, 2009
M.S., Environmental Engineering Department, Middle East Technical University, TR, 2003
B.S., Environmental Engineering Department, Middle East Technical University, TR, 2001
Assistant Professor, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 2012 - Present
Researcher under the E.U. Research Executive Agency Contract, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 2011-2012
- European Research Council FP7-PEOPLE-Marie Curie-Career Integration Grant “Role of biotransformation on the dynamics of antimicrobial resistance”, 2011-2015.
- Bogazici University Scientific Research Projects Fund “On the track of the “Super Bug”: Microbial ecology and genetics of disinfectant biotransformation”, 2013-2014.
- The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey “Development of enzyme bioreactors for the advanced treatment of wastewater containing antimicrobial chemicals”, 2014-2017 (ongoing).
- Bogazici University Scientific Research Projects Fund “Biotransformation potential and pathways of antibiotics by Pseudomonas sp. BIOMIG1”, 2014-2016 (ongoing).
- The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey “Development of a geographical information systems based decision-making tool for water quality management of Ergene watershed using pollutant fingerprints”, 2016-2019 (ongoing)
- Misiti T., Tezel U., and Pavlostathis S. G. 2014. Effect of alkyl side chain location and cyclicity on the aerobic biotransformation of naphthenic acids, Environmental Science and Technology 48(14): 7909-7917.
- Tezel U., Tandukar M., Hajaya M. G., and Pavlostathis S. G. 2014. Transition of municipal sludge anaerobic digestion from mesophilic to thermophilic and long-term performance evaluation, Bioresource Technology 170: 385-394.
- Yang J., Tezel U., Li K., Pavlostathis S. G. 2015. Prolonged exposure of mixed aerobic cultures to low temperature and benzalkonium chloride affect the rate and extent of nitrification, Bioresource Technology 179: 193-201.
- Tezel U., Pavlostathis S. G. 2015. Quaternary ammonium disinfectants: microbial adaptation, degradation and ecology, Current Opinion in Biotechnology 33: 296-304.
- Ertekin E., Hatt J. K., Konstantinidis K. T. and Tezel U. 2016. Similar microbial consortia and genes are involved in the biodegradation of benzalkonium chlorides in different environments, Environmental Science and Technology (doi. 10.1021/acs.est.5b05959)