Berat Z. Haznedaroğlu
Environmental microbiology and biotechnology
Next-generations system biology
Fate and transport of pathogens
Microalgae functional genomics
Postdoctoral, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, USA, 2012
PhD, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California-Riverside, USA, 2010
M.S., Civil and Environmantal Engineering, Villanova University, 2005
B.S., Biology, Middle East Technical University, TR, 2003
Assistant Professor, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 2014-Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering, University of Buffallo, New York, 2012-2014
Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2010-2012
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, 2005-2010
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2003-2005
- “Systems-level Characterization of Photoautotrophic Hydrogen Production in Non-model Microalgae and Cyanobacteria”, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), 1001 Scientific and Technological Research Projects Funding Program, $135,000 [Award ID: 115Y163; January 2016-2018].
- “Istanbul Algal Biotechnology Research and Development Center”, Istanbul Development Agency, Innovative Istanbul Financial Assistance Program, $560,000 [Award ID: TR10/15/YNK/0062; co-PIs: Burak Demirel, Turgut Onay, Emre Otay, Ulas Tezel (UB); September 2015 – August 2016].
- “SusChEM-Time-series Characterization and Modeling of Non-model Microalgae at the Systems-level for Sustainable Chemical Production, NSF Chemical, Bioengineering, Environmental, and Transport Systems (CBET), Energy for Sustainability Program, $550,000 [Award ID: 1438172, co-PIs: Blaine Pfeifer (UB); Ekin Atilla-Gokcumen (UB); September 2014 – August 2017].
- “Cellular and Molecular Characterization of Non-model Microalgae for Maximized Lipid Synthesis”, The Royal Society, Newton Fund, $163,000 [Award ID: NA140481; co-PI: Alison Smith (University of Cambridge); March 2015 – 2018].
- “Improving Biofuel Capacity of Microalga at the Systems Level by OMICS-based Characterization”, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), 2232 Incoming Researcher Program, $13,500 [Award ID: 115C019; February 2015 – 2017].
- Ghafari, M., Rashidi, B., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2016. “Effects of Macro and Micronutrients on Neutral Lipid Accumulation in Oleaginous Microalgae”, Biofuels, [in press].
- Han, Y., Hwang, G., Kim, H., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., and Lee, B., 2015. “Amine-impregnated Millimeter-sized Spherical Silica Foams with Hierarchical Mesoporous-Macroporous Structure for CO2 Capture”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 259(2015), 653-662.
- Beckinghausen, A., Martinez, A., Blersch, D., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2014. “Association of nuisance filamentous algae Cladophora spp. with E. coli and Salmonella in public beach waters: impacts of UV protection on bacterial survival”, Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 16(6), 1267-1274 [invited Article].
- Soh, L., Montazeri, M., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., Kelly, C., Peccia, J., Eckelman, M., and Zimmerman, J., 2014. “Evaluating microalgal integrated biorefinery schemes: Empirical controlled growth studies and life cycle assessment”, Bioresource Technology, 151, 19-27 [Cover Article].
- Peccia, J., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., Gutierrez, J., and Zimmerman, J., 2013. “Nitrogen Supply is an Important Driver of Sustainable Microalgae Biofuel Production”, Trends in Biotechnology, 31(3), 134-138 [Invited Article].