Anaerobic Biotechnology for Wastewater and Waste Treatment
Fate and Behavior of Nanomaterials in the Environment
Ph .D., In stitute of Environmental Sciences, Boğaziçi University, TR, 2003
M.S., Institute of Environmental Sciences, Boğaziçi University, TR, 1996
B.S., Metallurgical Engineering Department, Istanbul Technical University, TR, 1994
Associate Professor, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, 2011-Present
Assistant Professor, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, 2009-2011
Post-Doctoral Researcher, DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg), Faculty of Life Sciences, Hamburg, 2005-2008
Research and Teaching Assistant Institute of Environmental Sciences, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, 1997- 2005
- Boğaziçi University Research Fund: "The behavior of ZnO, CuO and CeO2 nanoparticles during biogas production stage from municipal solid waste (MSW)", May 2016- (Ongoing), Project Coordinator
- ISTKA (Istanbul Development Agency): "İstanbul Mikroyosun Biyoteknolojileri Araştırma ve Geliştirme Birimi (İMBİYOTAB)", October 2015 - (Ongoing), Researcher
- TUBITAK (The Scientific & Research Council of Turkey) IntenC: "Biotechnological approach for recovery of rare earth metals and precious metals from e-waste – (BIOREEs) ", August 2014- (Ongoing), Researcher
- Boğaziçi University Research Fund: "Evaluation of recovery potential for precious and rare earth metals from e-waste", June 2014- (Ongoing), Project Coordinator
- Boğaziçi University Research Fund: "Effect of nanoparticles (NPs) on anaerobic digestion of biomass", October 2013- 2014, Project Coordinator
- TUBITAK (The Scientific & Research Council of Turkey) 1001: "The behaviour of nanoparticles in conventional and bioreactor landfills", May 2013- (Ongoing), Project Coordinator
Effect of nano ZnO on biogas generation from simulated landfills, Ilknur Temizel, S. Mehdi Emadian, Martina Di Addario, Turgut T. Onay, Burak Demirel, Nadim K. Copty, Tanju Karanfil, Waste Management, Vol. 63, 18-26, 2017.
- Methodological flaws introduce strong bias into molecular analysis of microbial populations, N. Krakat, R. Anjum, B. Demirel, P. Schröder, Journal of Applied Microbiology, Vol. 122, 364-377, 2017.
- Biodegradation of bioplastics in natural environments, S. Mehdi Emadian, Turgut T. Onay, Burak Demirel, Waste Management, Vol. 59, 526-536, 2017.
- The impacts of engineered nanomaterials (ENMs) on anaerobic digestion processes, Burak Demirel, Process Biochemistry, Vol. 51, 308-313, 2016.
- Leaching potential of nano-scale titanium dioxide in fresh municipal solid waste, Mumine Dulger, Tugce Sakallioglu, Ilknur Temizel, Burak Demirel, Ceyda Senem Uyguner Demirel, Turgut T Onay, Nadim K Copty, Tanju Karanfil, Chemosphere, Vol. 144, 1567-1572, 2016.