Berat Z. Haznedaroğlu
Environmental microbiology and biotechnology
Next-generation systems biology
Fate and transport of pathogens
Microalgae functional genomics
Postdoctoral, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, USA, 2012
PhD, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California-Riverside, USA, 2010
M.S., Civil and Environmantal Engineering, Villanova University, USA, 2005
B.S., Biology, Middle East Technical University, TR, 2003
Assistant Professor, Institute of Environmental Sciences, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 2014
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering, University at Buffalo, New York, 2012-2014
Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, 2010-2012
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California, 2005-2010
Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2003-2005
- “Integrated Biorefinery Concept for Bioeconomy Driven Development (INDEPENDENT)”, Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology & Directorate General for EU and Foreign Affairs Department of EU Financial Programmes, Competitiveness and Innovation Sector Operational Programme (CISOP), 4.912.459,03 € [Award ID: TBD; January 2018-2021].
- “Systems-level Characterization of Photoautotrophic Hydrogen Production in Non-model Microalgae and Cyanobacteria”, The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), 1001 Scientific and Technological Research Projects Funding Program, $135,000 [Award ID: 115Y163; January 2016-2018].
- “Istanbul Algal Biotechnology Research and Development Center”, Istanbul Development Agency, Innovative Istanbul Financial Assistance Program, $560,000 [Award ID: TR10/15/YNK/0062; co-PIs: Burak Demirel, Turgut Onay, Emre Otay, Ulas Tezel (UB); September 2015 – August 2016].
- “SusChEM-Time-series Characterization and Modeling of Non-model Microalgae at the Systems-level for Sustainable Chemical Production, NSF Chemical, Bioengineering, Environmental, and Transport Systems (CBET), Energy for Sustainability Program, $550,000 [Award ID: 1438172, co-PIs: Blaine Pfeifer (UB); Ekin Atilla-Gokcumen (UB); September 2014 – August 2017].
- “Cellular and Molecular Characterization of Non-model Microalgae for Maximized Lipid Synthesis”, The Royal Society, Newton Fund, $163,000 [Award ID: NA140481; co-PI: Alison Smith (University of Cambridge); March 2015 – 2018].
- Matich, E.K., Ghafari, M., Camgoz, E., Caliskan, E., Pfeifer, B.A., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., and Atilla-Gokcumen, G.E., 2018. “Time series lipidomics analysis of the oleaginous green microalga species Ettlia oleoabundans under nutrient stress”, Biotechnology for Biofuels, 11(1), 29.
- Ghafari, M., Rashidi, B., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2016. “Effects of Macro and Micronutrients on Neutral Lipid Accumulation in Oleaginous Microalgae”, Biofuels, 9(2), 147-156.
- Matich, E., Butryn, D., Ghafari, M., del Solar, V., Camgoz, E., Pfeifer, B., Aga, D.S., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., and Atilla-Gokcumen, G.E., 2016. “Mass spectrometry-based metabolomics of value added biochemicals in non-model microalgae”, Algal Research, 19, 146-154.
- Han, Y., Hwang, G., Kim, H., Haznedaroglu, B.Z., and Lee, B., 2015. “Amine-impregnated Millimeter-sized Spherical Silica Foams with Hierarchical Mesoporous-Macroporous Structure for CO2 Capture”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 259(2015), 653-662.
- Beckinghausen, A., Martinez, A., Blersch, D., and Haznedaroglu, B.Z., 2014. “Association of nuisance filamentous algae Cladophora spp. with E. coli and Salmonella in public beach waters: impacts of UV protection on bacterial survival”, Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 16(6), 1267-1274 [invited Article].